Businesses, institutions, nonprofits, and multi-family properties must subscribe to compost and recycling collection service, set up color-coded and labeled indoor bins, ensure proper sorting, and educate employees, contractors and tenants about the law at least annually. Certain food generating businesses must also donate surplus edible food to food recovery (rescue) organizations or services instead of composting it.
Contact Pleasanton Garbage Service at: (925) 846-2042 for a free waste assessment and assistance on implementing a new organics collection program at your site
This service is designed for restaurants, markets, and other establishments that generate materials suitable for composting. Service is provided on a weekly basis, Monday through Friday, except for Holidays (see Holiday information).
The following materials are accepted in this program:
- Food scraps
- Food soiled paper
- Green waste/landscape debris
- Untreated / unpainted wood (no plywood or composite materials)
Keep these items out:
- No liquids
- No Polystyrene
- No plastic bags
- No plastic
- glass or metal
PGS offers discounted drop box/roll off container service for separated green waste. Container sizes range from 15-40 cubic yards. Call PGS Customer Service at (925) 846-2042 for more information.
Free Assistance & Resources
PGS offers the following free technical assistance and resources to help you set up and maintain a convenient and effective Food/Green Waste recycling program.
- Free! Waste assessment to determine your Food/Green Waste collection service needs
- Free! Cost savings estimate
- Free! Program setup & staff trainings.
- Free! Ongoing support to help you maintain your program
- Free! Indoor food waste recycling containers (supplies limited)
- Free! Food waste/organics recycling posters, container decals
- 25% discount compared to standard trash service!
- Bins available in sizes 1 - 4 cubic yards
- Now Available! 96 gallon cart size
- For more information please download our How-to-Guide
- Food/Green Waste Poster
- Food/Green Waste Decal
- Paper Towel Decal
- Container sizes
- City of Pleasanton - SB 1383 Requirement for Businesses and Multi-Family Properties
It is illegal to dispose of hazardous materials in garbage or recycling containers (see below for prohibited items). Improperly disposing of hazardous and toxic waste can result in serious harm to the health of people, pets, wildlife, and our environment. Containers found to have these materials will not be collected until such materials are removed.
Alameda County offers special programs for businesses generating small quantities of hazardous and/or universal waste. Visit StopWaste.org for more information for more information about local disposal options.
You can also check the City of Pleasanton Household Hazardous Waste Programs for local disposal options.